Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
15822

cat: started feeding..And had it neutered...I can’t catch them to spay

I started feeding a stray cat. And had it neutered. But now I have 15 cats hanging around, I can’t catch them to spay, or trap them. Although I have trapped 5 and had them spayed. But I keep getting more and more cats. How do I discourage them from hanging around my home.? Is there an effective way of running the extra ones away? Thanks for your help.

If there's a food source and companionship, you probably won't get rid of the extra, especially if there are others there who are not spayed or neutered.

I suggest that you call your local animal shelter or humane society and ask about your local resources for feral cats.  Tell them that you have a colony and need help.  They will most likely loan you some traps and help you to catch them all.  They can then be spayed or neutered and returned to you or relocated to a farm area somewhere.

Let me know if you need more help.

Uh oh.... this is always what seems to happen as soon as one cat finds out that they have a nice "cat restaurant" to eat at, they call in all their buddies and pals. Just kidding.... but that is what has happened to me over the years also.

Last year I put out food and water to two stray cats, and next thing I knew, I had about seven hanging around. The only thing you can do, is LIFT the FOOD and WATER. If you are still feeding the ones outside that you neutered already, though, that will be the problem. But, basically you could join the following yahoo group that I belong to, and they have tons of information on their site.

The address is as follows:

[email protected]

You can join for free, and they can give you a lot of good advice.

Otherwise, the only thing that I can recommend is what I had to do. Lift ALL FOOD and WATER. Get everything out of your area, and yard that will draw more cats, and they will move on and find somewhere else, or someone else to feed them.

It may sound cruel, but unless you want a fifty cat colony in your yard, that is what you will have to decide.

God bless and let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Can you tell me, if I withhold food and water from all of them, will they hang around for a long time? I'm already feeling very guilty.

Well, they will hang out there for a few days, or come by, off and on, until they see they are not getting anything. They then will move on.

You can do what Specialist Tammy recommended, but sometimes, it is NOT EASY finding groups that are available with the resources to help. I have been down that alley. Called a lot of different groups and they are always so busy they find it hard to do much to help.

If you have the money and the time, you can keep trying to trap them, but this is "KITTEN" season coming on us now, and they are going to be out there reproducing over and over.

I have read that by SPAYING one female cat, that down the road, you save at least maybe 400,000 new cats from coming into the world! That is really a great thing to do, and if you can, you may want to keep trying to help them, but if you are like me, on limited resources, there is no way that I could any longer afford to do what I did in my younger days.

God bless and don't feel guilty. You already have done a lot!

Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience: Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I appreciate your help. God bless you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: Could you please let me know what is the best way to withhold the food and water. Should I do it gradually, or suddenly? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX input.

Hi again!

Well, before you withhold all the food and water, do you know for sure, if you have any "mothers" or pregnant cats in your yard each day? I guess that is the only thing that would keep me from taking away all water and food immediately, because if they are expecting kittens, and you have been feeding them for more than a month or so, it would seem inhumane to all of a sudden stop. I know, I know, I said to lift all water and food, but I have also given a link to a website that you may want to look up your zip code and see if there are any possibilities of getting help from anyone in your local area.

The only thing that makes me feel rather badly, is that last year when this all started all over again for me (yes, I knew better from nine years prior, but my heart won out and not my head), I started feeding the two cats in my yard in the snow. It started because there were POOR birdies out there....hahaha... and I threw out old cereal I had for the birds, and the two ginger cats showed up. UGH.... Well, anyway, another cat, a tortie (multicolored) cat showed up after they did. I still kept feeding them, thinking I would find help to have them speutered (spay/neutered), and thus, my dilemma started..... I did find a woman to help me, and I trapped the tortie, who was pregnant by now, and had four little tiny kittens running along with her. So now I was really in a fix. I took her to this woman who was going to take her and the kittens and have them fixed and put up for adoption at a Petsmart. Well, her vet had the female mother asleep on the table, and tested her for FIV which is feline immunodeficiency virus, and lo and behold she tested positive! Well, the woman helping me, called me to tell me she would NOT PAY for this cat to be spayed and wanted me to give MY permission to have the vet put the cat to sleep. I had no other choice at that moment and I have lived with this guilt ever since that I could have brought that mother cat back, to my yard, to be with her eight week old kittens.

The story goes on, and on, and if you wish me to continue, I can, but that is why I feel that once you start feeding and giving water to strays or ferals, you have to know that you have to make a choice one way OR the other. I know now that I will NOT start to feed or water strays or ferals again, because I am not in a financial or physical position to do the right thing for the cats.

So, my advice to you is if you are truly feeling guilty over lifting the food and water, then please check out the website below, and make your decision on what you really in your heart want to do. OR WHAT YOU CAN DO...... If you are not able to keep up with this, then it is best to STOP now. Call for help, if you will feel better about it, but do not keep feeding them after you have no more in your area to feed.

Gradually will not work, as the cats just think that you maybe forgot to bring out their daily rations. You truly must decide what is best for you, and also for the cats. They CAN find other means of survival, though it may not be the best way, but don't beat yourself up over it. I have been there too many times now, and my health has really taken a toll. I love the cats so much and they are like family to me, and I keep my own, inside ONLY.

Let me know if you need any further help, and I will help if I can.

http://www.pets911.com

God bless and good luck!