ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

Vomiting Kitty

Hi, One of my cats has been spitting up clear liquid for about 4-5 days now. Today, when she spit up, it was yellow one of the times. Also, yesterday, she stopped eating. And, she has urinated in 3 different places outside the litter boxes, which is something she has never done. She is also lethargic. I took her to the vet Friday night, they did bloodwork, and they could find nothing wrong other than a bit of an elevated fever. They sent her home w/ bland cat food, which she won’t eat, and told me to watch her for a couple of days. Any ideas what this could be? Thank you. I’m very worried about her. She’s strictly indoors (as all my cats are). I'm sorry I can only contribute $5, but I just went on medical leave 10 days ago, and I'm waiting for short-term disability to be approved. Jamie J. Knight

Did they do any x-rays on her?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Hi, and thank you so much for the free post and asking this question. No, not yet. I picked her up from the vet Saturday morning, and the vet said if she wasn't better after 2 days, they would do that next. So, I was waiting to see how she does all of today. But, she isn't any better, and she still isn't eating.

Thank you so much, again, for this free post. I appreciate it.

By the way, she's in heat right now. I have 7 cats, and the other 6 are spayed or neutered and, since they're all indoor cats, I haven't been in a big rush to get her spayed. But, she's never had these symptoms when she's been in heat before. And, also, something else: she keeps licking her anus a lot. I forgot to mention those 2 things. The vet did test her to be sure she didn't have an infected uterus, and she does not.

Take care,
Jamie
I think thats the next step is an x-ray to see if there's an
obstruction. I would be concerned that she's getting dehydrated so keep
a close eye on her and should the vomiting continue or get worse then a
vet visit will be needed sooner than tomorrow.

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I just wanted to say thanks for answering so quickly.

I did call the vet just now and make an appointment for Buttercup for 8 a.m. tomorrow for another exam and xrays, but I am staying up all night to watch her and will take her in immediately any time during the night should she worsen. My vet is 24 hours, and they're aware that I could show up any time with her.

There *have* been a couple of tiny improvements this afternoon and evening. She is moving around a little bit more, and I did see that she drank some water this afternoon around 5:00, so thank you for mentioning that. I'll keep an eye out for that. Also, she hasn't vomited in about 7 or 8 hours, which is an improvement. But, I'm still *very* concerned about her and am watching her like a hawk. If anything at all appears to worsen with her, I'll take her over to the vet right away.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your fast response. I really appreciate it.

Take care,
Jamie
 Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Thanks! :-)

Have a great night.
Jamie
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I stayed up with Buttercup until 4:15 this morning and she hadn't vomited and was sleeping off and on, so I lay down and slept until about 6. When I got up, I gave everybody their breakfast, and Buttercup went to her bowl and sat over it for about 10 minutes but then walked away without eating. Then she promptly spit up. So, I took her the 8:00 a.m vet appointment and had to leave her.

Unfortunately, I still don't know what's wrong with her. The vet did the xrays and they didn't show an obstruction, thankfully; he did further tests (Feline Leukemia and Aids, even though I knew there was no chance she had either of them); he thought he felt something inside her abdomen so he spayed her and, at the same time, checked that out and determined that what he had felt was something to do with her appendix, but he said it was okay, so I didn't pay much attention to what he said about that. He spayed her and checked at the same time rather than simply performing exploratory surgery, because it was $300 cheaper to do that way (it was listed as a spay rather than exploratory surgery). (yay-since so far it's $771 since Friday night) He said her ovaries were a bit enlarged but probably because she was in heat.

So...they're keeping my little girl overnight, and they're giving her fluids and something similar to Pepto Bismol. They're also giving her something called motility or maybe mobility, honestly, I'm not doing well on remembering things today. They will try to feed her a little bit in the morning and I'm supposed to talk to the vet around 9:00 a.m. We'll regroup then and figure out where to go from there, depending on whether or not she's better.

So, I'll keep you updated when I find something else out. It may be Wednesday night before I can post here, because I'm going into the hospital myself tomorrow evening for tests and will be there until late afernoon on Wednesday. Thankfully, my sister will come over and stay with Buttercup tomorrow night if Buttercup is able to come home (I love my sister!) and will be able to stay with Buttercup until 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday when she has to go to work.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your help.

Take care.
Sincerely,
Jamie
  Thanks for the update...They are probably giving her something
to help with motility...basically get things moving. Many times...as
some of the surgons I worked with use to say " to cut is to cure" and
opening them up...manipulating the bowel a bit...does help so hopefully
this is the case with your kitty. Good luck with her and also with
your  tests!