Olivers Mom
Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
56888

Should we put our cat to sleep It is scheduled for 3/12/05

Our cat is 15 years old and over the past 4 weeks she is now blind, cannot smell her food, is having accidents and feeling dispondant. She was diagnosed with cronic bowel snydome in December. We are considering putting her to sleep since she is not the same kitty and her quality of life has dropped drastically. HELP What should we do?

I am very sorry for this difficult time you are experiencing.  I think you have stated the most important aspect of making this decision - and the one thing I always tell my clients to consider - and that is the pets quality of life.  Their quality of life is what it's all about.  This can be hard for us because we want to go with our heart and not our mind but we must do what is right for our pets.  And when it comes to decisions such as this, the quality of life is the key to the answer.

I would also ask - what are her treatment options?  Will they enhance her quality of life?  Will the treatment relieve her of pain or discomfort she may have? If so, you may have other options

She has lived many years and I'm sure she has fulfilled your life with companionship and love.  She has given you love and memories that will never die - they will forever be with you.

If you chose to humanely euthanize her, today is not going to be easy - and tomorrow will be even harder - I won't try and convince you it won't be.  The day will come sooner or later - and what you will have to endure will not change.

I pray you maintain the strength, courage and faith that is needed during this time.  I'm here for you if you need to discuss further....

Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: The vet told us it will relieve it but once the shots have worn off there are pills but nothing to cure it. Last night she started acting better puring, rolling around, wanting to be held but she was crying in the hallway - sounding very lonely and losted. My daughter that is very close to KC - Mom she is acting better, but I know this is only temporary. She cannot see and this has happened over 4 weeks - I just want to know I am making the right decision tomorrow

No one can tell you if you are making the right decision - that is for you to decide.  However I have done the same - asking people their opinion.  I think it is a way for us to justify what we already know or hope someone has a treatment or cure not yet explored.

It's times like you witnessed last night - KC acting better - that only adds to the difficulty.  But as you said, is this only temporary and your description of 'lonely and lost' tells me you are seeing the whole picture. 

If your daughter is younger and/or you need help discussing this with her, I recommend websites: http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/grief-children.html 

http://www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=3199

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Thank you. I feel I am making the right decision I want what is best for K.C. She has been a wonderful family member - our kids in fur - it is not easy when you have to make these decisions. We have been praying about this and I keep hearing - there will be no tears, no suffering, no pain.

That's right - at the rainbow bridge, http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm there is nothing but joy and health. 

If you decide to go ahead with this, hang on to your faith.  Don't be afraid to grieve or show your emotions.  They are 'kids in fur' and their loss is real.  Reach out if you must.  And be with her when it's time - allow her to be with those that love her so much so she finds comfort and peace - and trust.

I don't know how much you know about the procedure and I think it is best to know before hand. Most veterinarians will give a sedative before the final injection is given.  Ask if this is done, and if not, feel free to request sedation.  She will be relaxed - and this will help not only her but you also. For some people, this is also provides them with time to say their goodbyes.  When you are ready, the injection is simply an overdose of barbituates - the injection is given into a vein and it will quickly stop the heart and breathing muscles. It is very fast.  People are scared or have heard stories about the after effects once the injection is given.  I have been in your position too many times than I care to remember (working in animal shelters/vet hospitals) and there is nothing to fear.  You may hear a gasp or two of breath or sounds, but PLEASE know your pet is already passed, and these are only muscle spasms. The vet will dispose of the body unless you have plans for a burial or cremation.  If so, bring along a blanket or something to carry her body back home.  Or if you chose cremation, the veterinarian should be able to keep her until an outside crematory service stops by or the vet office may do this themselves. 

I hope you don't mind the details - I only want to help and feel you will be better off knowing this information.  I wish someone would have done so the first time I had to go through this.  I think I was more afraid of the unknown than anything else!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Thank you. I really appreciate all of your help. We plan on being there with her through it all. We are taking her home so our other kitty knows she is gone and then I will take her back to have her cremeated so we can have her at home. God Bless you!

Greetings:

I'm am deeply sorry for your cat's condition. My prayers and thoughts are with her, you and your family.

You may wish to review the following site which offers deeper, spiritual, insight addressing your concerns.....and a loving way to help your cat:

Click the link below:

Blessing The Bridge

My very best to you and your cat. I will say special prayers for your cat - My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: We put KC to sleep on 3/12 - very peaceful - we spent the night before with her and gave her breakfast in bed. What seem to be so sad and tragic ended up being a blessing, my youngest daughter returned home that evening. Fighting a drug habit that drove her away. God Bless you for your help.