Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
15822

feline URI

Customer Question

I have a six month old kitten that has been sick since I took her in as a foster. It has always been URI but, about 2-3 months ago, things got much worse. The vet said she had bronchitis. She’s been on multiple antibiotics and fluid therapy to get better for a couple days and then she crashes. This morning I woke up to find bloody mucous coming out of her nose and mouth. When I opened her mouth to give her her meds, I realized that her gums were all bloody, again. She’s so strong it takes two experienced people to do her fluids. My vet is at his wits end and is talking about euthanizing her. Are there any other options you can think of? Please help!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 11 years ago.

This is such a very sad situation that you find yourself in. If she has been sick since you have had her, did the vet mention anything about possible Feline Infections Peritonitis? FIP? Even, if that is not the underlying cause, it sounds like your poor kitten has not had a very good quality of life since she has been born.

Your vet, if you trust his experience, may not be trying to make you feel badly when he talks about euthanizing your kitty. If you really can afford to, and you feel he is not giving your kitten the best treatment, then perhaps you can try to get a second opinion from another vet. But, it sounds like your kitten is in pain, and each time you have to take her to the vet's she is getting stressed out, which is not good for her, or for you.

Sometimes, if we really love our animals, we have to give them the kindest gift of all, no matter what their age, and that might be to euthanize her, if nothing can help her condition improve.

Some people might recommend to just stop the antibiotics, and see if she could perhaps be having allergic reactions to the medicines she is on. What antibiotics is she on?

Before giving up all hope, I think I would try to get her on a good canned food, at least temporarily, such as Hill's Prescription A/D, to build up her levels of immunity, keep her away from any other animals you may have, use a warm mist vaporizer to help her breathe easier and make sure you are keeping her indoors only, and if you believe in God and prayer, keep praying for your kitten.

Has the vet done x-rays on her, to see if she has any fluid around her pleural area of her chest? Sometimes, FIP, can be a nasty disease that is hard to diagnose, but if this is what your kitten possibly could have, it most always is fatal. Has she also been tested for Feline Leukemia, or Feline Immunodeficiency Virus? I have an FIV+ cat, and he has been with us for over ten years now, but he came to us, very young, and very ill.

I have a kitten also, that my vet thought may possibly have FIP and she did an x-ray and his chest was normal, although he sounded just awful! We had him on antibiotics for weeks, and he finally cleared up. Then found out, even with the worm treatment he had  gotten before I had him, he tested positive for "roundworms" last year. So, we had to treat all of my cats.

So far, he has gained a good bit of weight, and if your cat is still strong, as you said it takes two experienced people to do her fluids, then she may still pull through this. But, please don't let her suffer, is there is no hope.

God bless and good luck and I will keep you and your kitty in my prayers!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: X-rays were done. Neither vet thinks it's FIP. She tested negative for FELV and FIV. Even though she is eating, I've been supplementing her with A/D and Nutracall. She gets an antioxidant, L-lysine, F-biotic, and Laktoferrin mixed in with her food. She responds beautifully to sub q fluids but, seems to get only 2-3 days out of them. She's so young and energetic (when she is feeling well). I hate to think there's something I'm missing. Has any one had any experience with olive leaf as an antibiotic/antiviral? Has any one had any experience calling a vet school for help? I don't want to cause her any more pain in her life but, with the fluids she got today, she should be good for a couple of days and that gives me some time to make an informed decision. I've been doing cat rescue for 27 years and this is the hardest case to date. I've had to make horrible decisions before (many times) but, this one is really tough. Thank you for the prayers. If that could help, she would be the healthiest kitten around. Denise            

Has the vet thought that she might have acute asthmatic problems? I also have a cat with asthma, and she has mucous with blood in it at times.

If you would like you can visit or join the asthma group on Yahoo, that has lots of good information about URI problems.

You can join for free at:

[email protected]

There are a LOT of people on there that use holistic treatments for their cats, and you just might find a wealth of information to help you out in that group. Lots of links you can access through that group also. They post a LOT every day on that group, so you might find someone that can give you other ideas too.

You certainly sound as if you know what you are doing, that's for sure! I know how you feel about trying everything you can, and if she has really good days, then I think you should try all you can, to give her a chance.

Also, below, is another group that has loads of good information and lots of postings, that may steer you in the right direction for your kitten:

[email protected]

Keeping you and your furbaby in my prayers! Hope everything will work out for her!