Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
15822

Orange Adult Male Cat

Customer Question

My indoor cat is limping, I don’t know wether it is a sprained back foot or if it is broken? How can I tell without going in for exrays?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You can't tell without an x-ray.  If the cat is primarily an indoor cat, you can feel pretty sure that it's just a sprain.  If he's an outside cat, you have no way of knowing.

If the pain lasts for more than 48 hours, you need to see your vet to rule out a bigger problem.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: How can I know if it is just a sprain, he doesn't seem to be in pain except when someone touches it (very sensitive) he has been limping for about four days now?

Thanks,

Gail
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Gail,

If it has been 4 days with no improvement, I would think that there is more going on than meets the eye.  I think that a vet visit is needed at this point.

Cats are very good at hiding their pain.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Expert:  Elena Marie replied 11 years ago.

If you can, I would take your cat to the vet's as soon as possible, as he possibly could have heart disease, and have thrown a blood clot. They sometimes have lameness from this, as I just recently experienced in my gray tabby a few weeks ago.

I took him to the vet's and he is diagnosed with a heart murmur stage  4 out of 6, and is now on half of a baby aspirin every 72 hours.

He started limping for a couple days, and then could not jump. I took him to the vet's on Monday and had blood work and x-rays done. The vet feels he threw a blood clot, and he wants me to have an ultrasound done, if possible, to see how badly his heart is affected by what is called "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy".

Your cat could have thrown a clot, so I would take him to get x-rayed and checked as soon as you can. It is very painful, if that could be the problem. I would not wait.

By the way, is his back leg cold to the touch? That can sometimes signal that he is not getting enough blood flow to the leg.

God bless and good luck!