Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie,
25316

persian: my male..is 16 and an agile 7 lbs

Customer Question

my male part persian is 16 and an agile 7 lbs. I have his food up on a 3 ft high counter (because of the dog) and he jumps up several times a day to eat. Is this abusing him at his age? He manages ok, but I think I see a bit of arthritis when he walks slowly. tho he plays very well. What vitamins or food will be best for him> He loves Iams wet lamb cans. Also he will only drink running water.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Eukanuba senior food or Hill's science diet senior food are both great foods.  Senior can foods are good as well because of the extra fluids for older cats. 

I have a list of what nutritional therapies are recommended for geriatric cats. You can print this and take it to a compounding pharmacy and they will blend this together into a liquid form and sometimes they can add a tuna or beef taste and you give it daily.

GERIATRIC MIX: DAILY DOSE

B complex (B1,B2,B6)  5-30mg

Folic Acid (B12) 10-100 ug

Vit C(NNN) NNN-NNNNmg

Vit E 50-200 IU

Coenzyme Q10  20-100 mg

Primrose oil(NNN) NNN-NNNNmg

Fish Oil (NNN) NNN-NNNNg

Digestive enzymers 4-160 mg

Dimethylglycine 24-100 mg

Zinc 1-15 mg

You can take this list first to your vet for further approval. I usually chose to start a cat in the middle to low range of these vitamins.

As far a jumping up...you may want to consider a different system with smaller jumps/steps to the food bowl.

Let me know if you need further help.

Dr.V

Expert:  Dr. Katie replied 11 years ago.
Hi There,
You have done something right for a long time.............I wouldn't change a thing................"......if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Good luckand many more healthy years,
Dr. Katie