Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie,
25316

cat: sneezing & coughing & sounds like he is wheezing.

Customer Question

I think that their is something wrong with my cat. He hasn't been his happy self today. He is sneezing & coughing & sounds like he is wheezing. He is an outdoor cat & has been cleaning some cuts he received from another cat during a fight. He has not moved to much today, he got up to eat & use the box, but then this evening he just laid on his blanket, not getting up much. The last time he got up when he went to lay back down he went in a corner as if to hide. What is wrong with him?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 11 years ago.

It sounds very much like he has an infection probably resulting from the wounds he received - or more seriously he has been contaminated with an illness something from the other cat He really needs to be taken to the vet for an examination and prescription of antibiotics or medication- there is not a home remedy you can use for this situation.

You do want to get him in as soon as you can because this will not get better on it's own - it already sounds like the infection or illness is 'deep' in him and waiting much longer will only make him get worse.

I wish you all the best with your cat!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: He was a stray cat that has stayed in my yard since after the hurricanes. We were thinking of adopting him if he is ok. If I brought him to the humane society or some other shelter could they help me get him better without having to pay alot of money. Would I be able to adopt him if everything turns out okay with him? or will the shelters want to keep him? I have 2 other cats that are indoor cats & they have been neutered. My indoor cats don't go out except on my screened in porch.
Expert:  Dr. Katie replied 11 years ago.
Hi There,
If you take a sick cat and surrender him to a shelter they will most likely euthanize him. Many shelters offer help for low income families but you have to show that you are on unemployment, etc.   It might be best that you take him to a regular vet and give him up as they will tend to him and find a home.   It sounds like it might be one to many for you to care for properly, and you do not mention vaccinations, etc.
Dr. Katie