DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

Pigmentation on nose and eyes, what cat food brand for senior cats

I have a white indoors male cat that is over 12 years old that has in the last two years been getting these pigment flecks on his nose and mainly in one eye that remain. Doesn't seem to affect him from what I can tell, is this a normal part of aging?
Also I was wondering if there is a special brand of cat food someone could suggest for cats this age? (I have another 9 year old male) I've been feeding them a 'hollistic' brand of dry food called Azmira but maybe there's another one that would be better suited for an aging cat's needs?
thanks!, Lori

Is this pigment, meaning the tissue looks normal, with no scabs?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Hi,
The pigmented tissue looks normal with no scabbing at all.   
thanks, Lori

Sorry Lori...

Pigment with no lesions is not uncommon on fair skin cats and orange cats as they age. They can look like freckles or acutal black spots.  I have a flame pt himalayan and he has several. Now...I will stress, on fair colored cats...there are more chances of skin cancers like sarcomas.

So, if you are 99% sure that the skin is normal it just is a pigment change on the mucosal membranes...edge of lip and edge of eye...you are dealing with a normal change.

Let me know if you have further questions or comments.

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank Dr. V for your answer.
I also own a flamepoint Himalayan whose groomer tried to scrub off the freckle on his nose once! The cat in question is a 'siam x' flamepoint. The pigments regarding the eye area are actually in the eyeball itself. He, Bob, does have some on the lip area too, good to hear this is normal then.
Sorry to bug you but I was wondering if you could recommend what you think is a decent cat food for my 'senior' boys here?
Have a good weekend, Lori

Too funny... I had to go take a look at my cat to check out the eyes..It looks like someone took a Sharpie black pen and made dots on his lips, eyelids right where they touch the eye, and on the third eyelids.

I have my cats on Hills Science Diet Senior Hairball formula. No can, just dry...they have never had urinary issues.  If they develop kidney issues as they get older (both are 11) I will integrate can food accordingly.  I love the Eukanuba lines but not as big into their cat food as I am in the senior dog diet...still waiting for their senior cat food to be released.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dr. V,

So we have these freckled, dotted cats:)
Thanks for the cat food recommendation, my Himi needs that hairball formula alright. He upchucks quite often. Although currently he's sporting a 'lion-clip' haircut which reduces his physical size to a mere shadow of it's former bulky self:)
I'm almost leery of not giving my cats any canned food as I once had a male cat that developed urinary crystals when I just gave him dry food only so since then I get kind of queasy.
thanks again for your help, Lori

Yep, I don't blame you. I have been lucky not to deal with the boy peepee issues at home!

Good luck,

Dr.V