Olivers Mom
Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
56888

cats: sores..vet first said it was from fleas, it is not...ringworm

Customer Question

Hello, My cats have round sores all over their bodies. The vet first said it was from fleas, it is not. I had tested for ringworm and it was not. Ihad tested for mites, and it was not. My cats have licked half of their hair off and just licking and scratching all the time. It started with one cat and 6 of my cats have it. Please HELP. What is it. What can I do just to help my cats in any way.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 11 years ago.

Hi Ken,

When the cat's were tested - do you recall if the vet performed a skin scraping or skin biopsy?

Has mange or allergies been ruled out?

Are you using any type of flea/tick preventative on the cats?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Hi Olivers Mom,                   &n bsp;                   &n bsp;              Yes the Vet did a skin scraping and hair sample.   They did not test for mange. The vet put advantage on the first time and it did not do anything. I do not have FLEAS.

I was not indicating there was a flea problem instead, the reason I asked if a preventative was used is because many times pet's can have an adverse reaction to the product.  If the problem was before Advantage was applied, then it would not be the case - I just wanted to be sure.

I really suspect your cats are suffering from a type of mange and would suggest your vet test once more specifically for this.  I have heard that mange may not be detected upon testing only once. 

I will also consult with one of our vet's to see if there could be something else going on and let you know.

Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: OK, But what can I put on them or wash them with, until I can get back to my vet. I'd like to have some kind of home remedy.

Good question - sorry I didn't address that.

Bathing in baking soda or epsom salts or vinegar in the bath water (AVOID getting this into the eyes/nose); a vinegar/water feminine douche is a great alternative and easy to use; hydrocortisone ointment or aloe vera applied to the sores.  Cats are very sensitive to many oral over the counter medications so I advise against that type of home remedy.

Hope this gives you some ideas to help your cats until you can get them to the vet.  Continue to discuss if you would like - I'll be available most of tonight.

Expert:  MekaSair replied 11 years ago.
DearCustomer

If all of the above suggestions do not work for you and your cats, then you can try the following alternative remedies that I have found to be helpful in the past.

FOR THE SKIN PROBLEMS:

Combine:

**Black Walnut Hull extract (kills parasites and bacteria)
**Wormwood extract (kills parasites as well)
**Red Clover Extract (cleanses)
**Aloe Vera juice (sooths skin ailments)

Rub this liquid concoction on the affected areas of your cats every couple of hours. If this works for you, then you should begin to see some significant improvement within two or three days.

To help prevent this from happening again, please check the following two sites for very detailed information on what to do and what each herb does:
http://www.drhuldaclark.org/therapy_parasite7.asp
                       and
http://www.curezone.com/diseases/parasites/herbalcure1.htm

Colloidal silver might be a natural remedy you can also try--rub it on the affected areas and let your cats take it internally in their water (It doesn't have a bad taste to it. In fact, it's kind of tasteless.). Here is a website of testimonials concerning colloidal silver--scroll down to the very bottom for skin rashes: http://www.colloidal-silver.com/animals.htm

I hope that helps you. The best of luck with your cats. I hope they find relief soon.

Mic Sayre
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
  It may also be a staph infection affcting your kitty. This will
need long term antibiotics if thats the case. A biospy as suggested
above or a culture of one of the affected area's is how to determine.
Using an oatmeal bath will help sooth the itching until you can get
them in but what might work best so it doesn't interfer with any
testing that will be done is getting a babies onesy..or infant t-shirt
to cover the area until you can take them in tomorrow.

Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 Have any of your cats received any medication/shot from your vet? If so what was it and how did it work?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Dr. Vamvakias,     Yes Ihad the cat given a steroid shot and it cleared up the sores and his itching seem to go away. Its been about two months now and it seems to be coming back slowly.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Ken,

The response to a steroid injection in a small way is a diagnosis. Ringworm/mange/etc will not respond well to steroids. This leaves the vast area of immune mediated or allergy based issues.  The problem in your situation is that there is no way all your cats have an immune medicated skin disease.  Thus, it leaves allergy based.  Now, one thing you can do is take one of you worse cats and proceed to have an allergy test..they take blood from the cat and see what it may be allergic too.  You need to think back to when the problems started...was there new carpet, litter, food ect.

It is uncommon that they would all have issues, even if it were fleas, you wouldn't have all of them having such a reaction.  You need to try to remember the trigger.  The other thing is that some cats will start to groom excessively out of psychogenic reasons, meaning at first it is comforting then obsessive.  You can have one cat "teach" other cats this habit.  These habits can improve with steroid shots as well.  The only thing is that for the cat that actually had lesions...scabs and such, that cat actually has the allergy.

Let me know if this makes sense...

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Olivers mom,   Do you think it could be allergies, if so what kinds would do this?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: This is closed
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

I responded at the request of OLIVERSMOM, she wanted me to put in my "opinion" as well.

Sorry that you feel the question is closed, please ignore my post.

Dr.Vamvakias

Hi Ken,

As Dr V suggested, it may be a good idea to take the cat with the worse symptoms and have it tested for allergies.  It's sort of strange that all three would have the same problem...but I guess it is possible!  Also take the suggestion of what possibly could have triggered this - when did it begin?  What could possibly have changed in the cats environment during that time.  To answer your last question, allergies are a common ailment in cats and what they are allergic to is vast.  I've cared for cats with allergies from grass to nylon carpeting and many allergic to food.  Steroid injections can help relieve the symptoms of allergies...and you did see a positive affect in the past.

So, with all that said if I were in your shoes, I would take at least the worse cat in for the allergy testing as the first step in finding out the solution to this problem.  I really hope to hear back from you with results - this is an interesting case!  (last suggestion - maybe your vet knows a skin disorder or allergy specialist you can be referred to)

Regards,

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Olivers MOM,   Thanks for the free onfo. I meant no disrespect for the other opinions. I'm just so stressed ount over the problem. I just don't have the funds right now to help my cats. AND, I'm tired of taking a cat to the Vet and telling them to find out what the problem is and fix it, they do one test at a time and if thats not the problem I have to take them back again to be tested for something else, so I keep paying more still with NO resultes.   I work construction and I don't get paid till the job is done,complete. I keep paying for an incomplete job, should I pay them until they complete the job I asked them to do.    PS. Any free suggestions would be great.