DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

anemic cat

my cat has recently become anemic. He’s on meds, but has taken to licking cement and a small stone statue in the house. How worried should I be about this behavior?
 Is he on vitamins with iron? What are his meds?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dr.V - thank you for repsonding. He is on a liquid vitamin with iron. He's also on cefadroxil, prednisolone and doxycycline. He's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping well.

You might want to call your vet and possibly get the electrolytes of your cat checked. With the meds and anemia your cat may have some problems with sodium issues and is licking cement.  You can try to remove the statue, but he may find a new source.

Just call and see if you can test him or even "salt" his food and see if that helps in "small" amounts!

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks Dr.V - with the original blood work that was done, I do not recall anything being said about his electrolytes. Will have to wait until Monday to look into this. In meantime will try to lightly salt his food. Thanks again!

Great...let me know how it goes. Please LIGHTLY use salt and make sure there is fresh water available!

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks Dr.V - I'm using a very small amount of kosher salt. Figured it might taste better than table salt. Have lots of water bowls out for him to drink. He even helped himself to my glass of water, which all things considering I didn't mind a bit this time.I'm giving him a quarter of a can of fancy feast at a time. He alternates between that and his dry food.
Will keep you posted on how things go. Am glad I found this place.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dr. V - just wanted to let you know Loki saw the doctor today. Asked about his electrolytes and she said they came up normal as did all his blood work, well, except for the anemia, and that's what has her a bit baffled. Plus the cement licking thing. He really likes the little bit of salt I've been putting on his food. His packed cell count was 14 today. It's up from before and he seems to be holding his own. Have to go for a recheck in a week. Thanks again!!

Your vet doesn't know what is causing the anemia?  You may want to get the bloodwork and post if for me.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I do know he is feline leuk. positive and I assumed he was just a carrier. I'm really hoping the leukemia has not become active. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with the anemia. Will ask for a copy of his blood work when we go for the recheck on the 8th. Would giving him some cooked, ground liver help him? I remember they used to push eating liver on us as kids to help with iron and was wondering if it may work for an amemic cat too?
You've been so helpful. Thank you.

Okay, the leukemia is the underlying cause and can be exhausting to deal with for you and your cat. The liver wont hurt...but remember with leukemia the production of red cells are down because of the virus and you are mainly buying time.

Since the leukemia is positive, you don't need to post the bloodwork...

You may want to ask about Epogen from your vet as well.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks Dr. V. I will ask about the Epogen. I understand what you are saying about buying time. When he tested postive three years ago was hoping he'd just stay a carrier and get to be an old kitty.

By the way...I just posted a Nutritional therapy to another person for their dog...and thought you might want a copy of a blend I use for Leukemia cats.

What you do, after showing your vet, is take this to a compounding pharmacy...they blend this using the components somewhere in the middle of the reference range...and it is a daily supplement for the cat.

Let me know if you try it and how it goes!!

Feline Leukemia: Daily Dose

Vitamin C(NNN) NNN-NNNNmg

Vitamin E 50-400 IU

Coenzyme Q10 20-100 IU

Dimethylglycine 50-250 mg

Good luck!

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you. Will definately take the recipe with me Tuesday morning to show the vet here. Thanks for the suggestion.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dear Dr. Vamvakias - I just wanted to let you know that Loki lost his battle on March 14th. The anemia became horrbily destructive and my husband and I chose to end his suffering. He was only five years old and very much a part of the family.
I want to thank you for the support you offered. We were getting ready to try the epogen when things took a turn for the worse.
Thanks again!!

Thank you for keeping me posted. I am sorry for your loss, but I know that he is in a better place without the discomfort of disease and veterinarians!

Dr.V