DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

cat: yr old..I adopted him when he was 10 mos.

Customer Question

This is rather involved but I have an 8 yr old DLH cat. I adopted him when he was 10 mos. old after he was hit by car. He had a broken pelvis and head trauma.   In early Dec., his R iris atrophied, took him to my vet who checked him and said that he was visual and atrophy could be from head trauma years ago. Then late Dec., he began licking his left paw which appeared ulcerated. Another trip to the vet, gave me Panalog cream and told me not to let him lick (not easy). Several days later, he became lethargic and began to drool and did not want to eat/drink (12/31). The vet did a complete blood workup his creatin level was a little high so they did full body x-rays and an ultrasound to rule out Kidney disease. They then noticed that he had oral ulcers - they game him a shot of Depo and within several hours, he looked much better and was crying for food. Several days after the depo shot, he scratched himself bloody above his left eye. Didn't think much of it. At the end of January, almost 4 weeks to the day, he began licking his paw again. The vet suggested another Depo shot, which was administered on 02/02 another blood study showed normal creatin. By that Friday, he had scratched the same spot above his left eye bloody again. By the following week, he had oral ulcers again. On 02/10, I noticed he could not blink his left eye and was shaking his head alot. The vet suggested an appt. with a feline opthamalogist, which was done on 2/14. My cat has normal tear production in both eyes and normal pressure. He suggested we test him for Toxoplasmosis. My vet drew blood for Toxo, Bartonella and FHV1. The Toxo test came back negative - the other tests are not back yet. This morning my cat was vestibular and was having trouble getting steady and did not eat. Today my vet said that he could have a polyup in his ear but they couldn't find anything on examination. Is there anything else you can think of that we should be testing/looking for? I should mention that he doesn't appear to be in pain, still loves to have his belly rubbed but is becoming angry with me for putting lube in his non-blinking eye. I am frustrated, anxious, also. Any help would be so appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

The ulcers vs. vestibular issues may or maynot be related to one another.  If there is an underlying infectious agent...that would explain why it is getting worse with depo injections.

Has your vet suggested a neurologist?  A CT scan of your cats head may be needed.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you so much for your reply. My vet did head x-rays today and said everything looked fine but that I should make an appt. with a neurologist in Philadelphia, possibly for more tests. When he came back from the vet today, he seemed a little better and did eat some canned food. The vet gave him some anavert to help with his balance. I was searching the web today with my cat's symptoms and came across a article on Cryptococcosis - is this another test or would this have shown up in his bloodwork?
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Cryptococcosis is a good rule out...and diagnostic rule out is with a spinal tap...which is the direction you should be headed into anyway.  That is where the neurologist comes in, definately the next step. He/She will perform extensive neuro exam and pinpoint probable location...then perform the correct diagnostics. Spinal taps are part of "their" thing...they may take the spinal fluid and run a FIV/FIP test on it as well for that rare type that does not show up in circulating blood.

I wouldn't wait too long to seek out the neurologist...crypto is fungal so you need an antifungal.

Let me know how it goes!

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you Dr. V, I appreciate your help.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Good luck, and please let me know how it goes, it is a very interesting presentation...and I hope that your cat responds quickly to treatment!!

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dear Dr. V.
I just wanted to update you because you were so kind to answer my intial question. On Friday, Ludie underwent a scoping because it was believed that he could have a nasopharangyl polyp. During the procedure, his lungs were sounding "crackly" and it was discovered that his heart was enlarged. He has another ultrasound today and I was told that he has dialated cardiomyopathy. I was blown away because he just had all these tests done on 12/31/04 but I was told that this could happen very suddenly. No one thinks that all of Ludie's symptoms are related to 1 thing but since his heart condition is that severe, I'm not going to pursue any further testing for his facial paralysis. I'll make as comfortable as I can hope that he passes peacefully.

Thank you again for all your help.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Thank you for letting me know. I will keep you in my prayers during this difficult time.

Dr.Vamvakias