ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.

Cat Psoriasis

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old male indoor cat named Maxwell. He is neuetered. I also have a 9 month old male indoor cat named Mike that my son recently got as a gift from my parents. He is also neutered and has had all of his shots. The two cats get along very well and have become fast friends. My question is about Maxwell. I recently found a patch of missing fur above his left shoulder blade. It looks to me like it could be psoriasis, it is very dry and flaky. It doesn’t seem to be bothering him, and he can’t reach to lick it. He can reach to scratch it, but I haven’t seen him scratching. The patch is about 1 inch by 1 inch and you can only see it if he lays in a certain position, or you look for it. He has never had anything like this before, so I am concerend. I really can’t afford another vet bill after taking Mike for his shots. Do you think it could be psoriasis, or soemthing else? Is there anything I can do for Maxwell at home? Should I leave it alone since it doesn’t seem to bother him? Or should I just bite the bullet and take him to the vet? Please help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
I would be concerned with ringworm so make sure to wash your hands well
after handling him. Your vet can do a fungal culture to determine if
thats his problem then give you the correct meds to treat it.