Olivers Mom
Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
56888

cats: piss in the house besides the box specificly in my room only

Customer Question

why do mature cats piss in the house besides the box specificly in my room only
Category: Cat
Expert:  Nicki147 replied 11 years ago.

There are many causes as to why a cat would do this. If there were any recent changes in the home, such a new animal was brought in, things were changed around, the litter box was moved, all these can upset a cat to urinate outside of the litterbox.Also medical issues can play a role as well. One of the more serious is a urinary tract dysfunction, known as FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease), formerly known as FUS (Feline Urinary Syndrome.) This condition will cause painful urination, which the cat may associate with the litterbox, thus; avoid using it. In this situation it is generally best to use a process of elimination to try to note if anything above might inniate this, then once ruling the obvious, move on to medical reasoning, in which case, an appointment for proper Vet diagnosis would be you best bet.

I hope this info might help, take care and good luck with everything.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nicki's Post: so what can i do to fix this i need help i mean out of three cats one does it its the male all the cats are the same age and only when i leave my door open but in no other rooms where say we have towels on top of fabric chairs i mean i love my cats but i want to kill hm lol if u know what i mean cause i can leave the door open for a second
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 11 years ago.

Is the male cat neutered?

Has he always done this or when did it start?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: umm well my sister use to live here 4 yrs ago and had a cat and that started it and ever since even after her and the cat left hes continud to could it be the the sent of the cat is still in that other room but he doesnt do it in there so i guess it wouldnt but he has been doing it for about 4 yrs spurratically um yes hes fixed and hes been that way for many yrs he is about 10 yrs old sorry for the bad spelling
Expert:  Nicki147 replied 11 years ago.

Hello again,

Yes, I can understand, you love your pet, but this can be frustrating to say the least! The best thing I can suggest is the need for understanding what is triggering this behavior. Whether it's caused by a urinary tract infection, or behavior issues, etc.and this is the first step in trying to fix the situation.

When your cat is neutered (which yours is), and suddenly begins to spray it may be caused by the presence or smell of a free roaming cat outdoors which is triggering a "territorial" response. In which case you could try to put cat repellant spray outside, around your house to deter the other cat from causing a reaction in your cat. If you definitley rule out a medical cause, you could also try to use some Feliway and Rescue Remedy that might calm an anxious cat, and help prevent further spraying.

I hope this will help, and I wish you the best.

Take care!

Thanks for your reply.  It certainly appears like this is a behavior that started as territorial and now has become a terrible habit.  If the previous cat urinated anywhere, the scent could still be there.  Cat urine is a bugger to get out.  If the area is carpeted, it will go through into the pad and then on the floor surface.  So even a good carpet clean won't get rid of it.

You have a couple options: the easiest is to prohibit any access he has to that area; or you could 'start from scratch' and re-train him to use the litter box all the time.  You would do this by isolating him to his own room or area, the smaller the better.  In this space, he would have his food/water dishes and a litter box.  Having a different floor type in this room (different from what he is peeing on) would really help.  Keep him there for at least 5 days.  Afterwards, start allowing him access again to parts of the house but still keeping him away from the room where he has pee'd before.  This method would take time and patience so you may want to consider option one - not allowing him in the room where he pee's.

He is getting older and a vet examination would be a good idea just in case he has a chronic condition causing him to do this.  If it is something physically wrong - no matter what we try - there wouldn't be any progress made.

I wish you all the best and hope this has helped!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i thank both of you so much ill get right on top of those suggestions and ill get back to u soon to let u know