ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.

My cats head shakes a little. what would cause this

Customer Question

He is about 14 years old and I have noticed that his head shakes or twitches once in a while.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 11 years ago.

Does he have any other noticeable changes in his behavior, eating or potty habits?  Is he on medication or does he have any other health issues?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: No other noticeable behavior. He eats well and plays with his toys. His potty habits are fine.

Thank You.

I suggest you take him to the vet for a complete blood panel work up.  There are illnesses that can cause this symptom - hyperthyroidism, low potassium, kidney disorders.  The blood tests should certainly guide you and your vet in the right direction.  There may be a need for neurolgical testing in addition. 

I hope you can get him scheduled at your earliest convenience.  I wish the best for both of you!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Do you think he will die?
 Oh! Let's not put the cart before the horse right?  He's doing so well otherwise. Older cats, just like us, can develop problems later in life and that doesn't mean it's the end of the road.  It means we just need to be on the side of caution, do what is needed by going to the doctor, and taking it from there.  I hope I didn't put this worry in you - I just wanted you to be aware of what it could be caused from - and more importantly, the faster you find your answers the better it will be for both of you.  Do your best to think positive, try not to predict the future and allow your vet to take a peek.  It's a good idea when our pets get older that we do this often anyway.  Whatever the end result, you have tons of support medically if needed.  Maybe he just has a pinch nerve?  We just won't know until he see's the doc. 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: I always worry about him. I am sure it is not a big deal though. Thank you for you help.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
It may be an old age thing also, kind of like a doggy Parkinsons. As
long as it doesn't get worse, his balance doesn't seem to be affected
and he's acting normally otherwise, I would keep an eye on it.