MekaSair
MekaSair,
73532

cat: Information about bone cancer..10 year old..11 weeks

Information about bone cancer in a 10 year old cat. 11 weeks ago, her head had a bump on it. Looks like skull is misshaped. Vet took an X-Ray and said cancer-6 months to live. Our kitty doesn't act sick at all-she still plays, eats, drinks, etc. Is there anything that I can do. A biopsy cannot be done (according to the vet) because it's her skull. Is there medicine to slow the cancer growth? Should I get another opinion? I just need advice-is there anything that I can do?

Yes there are things to do. Ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary oncologist (cancer vet) and they will guide you thru. Radiation is focal and can be done on the skull, if indeed it is cancer. An xray is not diagnostic of cancer with out a form of special scans or biopsy.

Your vet should be able to quickly provide the referral, and give you copies of your records and xrays for the oncologist.

Dr.Vamvakias

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert

I'm sorry for what you are going through.  I also had a pet (dog) that was diagnosed with bone cancer.  Feline osteosarcoma is a bit different than canine.  I kept the following article when I was researching information for my dog - I've copied the feline info for you to read - and will hopefully guide you and answer your questions.  I wish you and your cat all the best.

Feline Osteosarcoma

Unlike its canine counterpart it has a much lower rate of metastasis and longer term survival can be expected with complete excision. Median survival for cats with osteosarcoma is approximately 2 years with many cats outreaching that. Due to the slow metastatic rate, radiation therapy can play an important role in osteosarcoma that cannot be totally excised. Though, chemotherapy is not routinely warranted due to the slow metastatic nature of feline osteosarcoma, it should be considered in a case to case basis.

Conclusion

There is no other way at this time but to say that the prognosis is poor in pets for long term expectancy although cats fair much better. However, it is important to note that if a majority of the pain is relieved a pet can enjoy a fairly content life until other organs become involved. Therefore, routine examinations should be maintain to monitor how the body is coping and the speed of metastasis. -Dr. N. Lorica

Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you so much! So, maybe this vet was a little quick with the diagnosis? An X-Ray is all that was done-so we really need to get a special scan or biopsy? Our kitty was taken to a very small town vet, and I have been a little concerned that maybe we needed to look towards some sort of specialist. Thank you again-you have given me a little hope and I really appreciate it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: To Oliver's Mom-Thank you! Thank you! I don't know why I didn't come this website earlier! You have given me hope! Our animals are so important to us, and it was breaking my heart to think that there was nothing that I could do.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: I am not sure if I have closed this question, so that is what I will do now. Thanks again!

Your vet probably is guessing correctly just based on the lesion he might see...but to know for sure, someone else needs to look at it. Osteosarcoma is a cancer of the bone...but this needs to be diagnosed, because other cancer can spread to the bone.

I do think that treatment and prognosis will be based on the type of cancer if it is diagnosed.

Good Luck.

Dr.Vamvakias

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks so much! I really appreciate all of your help.
DearCustomer

I don't know how interested you are in alternative treatments to help your cat recover, but I'm going to mention some anyway and leave the decision up to you as to whether you might want to use these alternative therapies in conjunction with regularly vet treatments.

The first thing that I'm going to suggest is a very simple thing, and one you can try without fear of injuring your cat further. Immediately get your cat off of regular tap water and switch to bottled water. A boy that I used to babysit has had two sets of rats. The first one died of cancer. Towards the end, when it was too late to help her, I ran across an article that talked about how the chlorine in the water (that we use to kill bacteria) was actually the cause of most animal cancers (and I suspect human ones as well).

When his second rat became ill with cancer and the vet told us that there wasn't much to be done for her, I said enough of this. We changed to bottle water and overhauled the rat's entire diet. That was a year and a half ago and the rat not only miraculously got better (She could hardly move on one side at the cancers' worst.), but she looks like she's good for several more years yet.

When doing some research, I ran across this article that talked about using apricot kernels to help fight cancer, including bone: http://www.frot.co.nz/sift/cancer.htm

Here's a site with more testimonials about the apricot kernel usage: http://www.credence.org/testimon.html

Please read the following information that I found on this site:

http://wholisticanimal.com/remedies.asp?intl=true&aaid=430&animalid=1&ailmentid=147

"These Bone Cancer ARE SUGGESTED TREATMENTS for Feline's

AN # XXXXX OSTEO SARCOMA ( Bone Cancer) (set 6) PILLS
YOUR PET MAY NOT NEED ALL THESE TREATMENTS AS YET, SO KEEP THEM IN YOUR MEDICINE KIT FOR WHENEVER THEY ARE NEEDED. AS YOU WILL BE NEEDING THEM LATER.

1.    OsteoSa Treatment        (600 pills)
Homeopathic formula with bone cancer, with bone cancer nosodes included.
2.   Detox formula            (300 pills)
Detox nosode from chemical food additives, allopathic drugs, environmental toxins.
3.   Herbal C Treatment    500ml (16.0z)   (supplies will last at least 4 to 5 months treatment)
Boost the immune system with a combination of concentrate herbal extracts to be added to daily meals.
4.   Liver Repair Detox      (1,400 pills)
All cancers start from the Liver, we need to detox and regenerate the liver cells. Aiding the whole system to fight cancer cells.
5.   Vitamin C Powder        (125mg Satchel)
Antioxidant to help to aggressively boost the immune and stop metastasis of cancer to other organs.
6. Cansemal black salve and oxygen (topical application) 15ml
(draws out impurities and cancer cells and tissue - naturally)

Recommended Cancer diet sheet and supplements also supplied. Along with dosage instructions."

I hope some of that helps. I hope your cat gets better.

Meka Sair
MekaSair,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Meka Sair's Post: I never even thought about this route. My family and I look to alternative therapies with alot of our health problems, so I don't know why I didn't think about our kitty. Thank you so much! I will definately print this off and look at the different websites that you listed!