Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats

Cats Grooming - Rear End Problem

My long haired cat has a horrible time with a constant feces sticking to her back end. When I bathe her, she hates it and next trip to the litter box her rear is a mess again. I have cut her hair back there short and even tried shaving it. This stresses her out. She’s been banned from all local groomers for her behavior towards others... they won’t even trim her nails. She is fine with me and my mom though. Thus, we are both learning as much as possible to make my cat’s life a better and ’cleaner’ one. Is there anything I can do that would eleviate the problem of her feces sticking to her bum? Thank you ever so much for any advice or suggestion you could give.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 9 years ago.

It probably is not a good idea to shave your cat's fur in the rear end area. It would make it 'itchy' when it grows back in, and possibly causes more irritation. If she is stressed out, have you asked your vet if she should be on any kind of medication?

How much stool is sticking to her rear end? My cats all have a slight bit, once in a while that sticks to their rears, but usually in their grooming habits, they take care of it themselves. Is your cat overweight by any chance?  

I would make sure that she is pooping normally, with firm, but not mushy stools. If you feed her a good quality food, if you are not at this time, and give her both canned and dry, and plenty of fresh water, it may change her stool consistency, so that it is not so 'pastie' or sticky on her rear end.

The best thing I would recommend at this time is to get some soft wipes, or paper towels, and wet them with warm water, or a soft face towel, wet with warm water, and just lift her tail and clean her butt off as well as you can. You say she is good with you and your mom, so this should not be a problem. Rather than giving her a whole bath, try to keep that area as clean as possible with warm water. I would not keep bathing her, as you can cause loss of oils in her skin that help protect her fur, and if she hates a bath, it doesn't help her or you, and she may end up with behavioral problems towards you and your mom.

God bless and good luck! 

The following is a very informative website if you scroll down and has a good bit of information about the care of cats, including long haired ones. It does state that canned food will usually cause looser stools, so you may want to feed mostly dry food and plenty of fresh water to your kitty.

http://www2.usenetarchive.org/Dir2/File293.html

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ElenaMarie's Post: Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, we have also tried this to no avail. The constant wipings has caused her to hide under the bed when she hears the water run. She's most hard to catch then. Thanks again for your time.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 9 years ago.

How is her stool? Soft, hard?

Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 9 years ago.

This could be more than a cleanliness problem.  I would recommend testing for internal parasites because they can cause this problem to be chronic if not treated.  Other things that may cause this - overweight cats cuz they cannot reach back to groom themselves; untidy litterboxes.

Have a stool sample and her blood tested by a veterinarian.

Best of luck, 

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Her stools are well formed, not soft nor hard. She eats She and my other cat both eat ProPlan for indoor cats. She is a bit overweight, but has been doing better with her much needed exercise... getting into better shape.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Olivers Mom's Post: I'm sorry... accidently hit the wrong button before I finished. The litterbox is cleaned top to bottom every three or four days. I use gravel and not the disposable type litter. And as far as her cleaning herself, she does clean several times a day. It's just that for some reason it sticks to her so well that even bathing her takes some time to remove totally. I had wondered if using something like vasoline or the like would help? I realize it would be messy and certainly not what any of us want to deal with.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 9 years ago.

2 things, getting weight off her for 1 may help and it may not but its
always healthier in the long run. 2nd, I would try mixing a 1/8 tsp of
metamucil into her food to see if it firms them up alittle more making
them less likely to stick. Sometimes, thats all it will take.

Good Luck!

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.

It certainly sounds like everything is being done that should and doesn't appear to be any evidence of intestinal problems.  I 'm not sure about the vasoline idea and how well it would help.  I'm at a loss for now except for all the grooming "maintenance" ideas already mentioned.  Zoo?? Any ideas from you?

I'll keep my mind working on this and let you know if I can think of anything worthwhile.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Olivers Mom's Post: THANK YOU SO MUCH! I found this forum by accident and am in awe of how wonderful you all are! I so very much appreciate knowing someone, anyone, is out there who not only listens, but cares. Bless all of you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Now that's a thought! I'll try it and let you know. If that works, it's certainly worth more than $5!! Thank you!
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 9 years ago.

Good luck and I hope it works!

Metamucil - good idea!  And that reminded me of something - because I'm still thinking there may be a reason for this happening, could the cats anal glands be inflamed/swollen causing this to be a chronic problem?  I thought of this because metamucil is suggested to give to pets for bothersome anal glands.

Something to think about anyway.  Thanks for your kind words - best of luck!

Wow, ZooCVT! The idea of the Metamucil is really the best, XXXXX XXXXX and I totally agree with you!

Here, I am, using the Metamucil on one of my big, older cats, that has to be on Prescription (Hill's) W/D for FLUTD/FUS, and because it (meaning the food), started giving him the runs, because of too much fiber, I started him on one quarter teaspoon of the plain, BRAND name ONLY, Metamucil, about five years or more ago. I give it to him each morning and night, mixed into his food and then I use a small syringe and give him some filtered water, in the side of his mouth, because the cat can choke from the Metamucil if it is not rinsed down right away, just in case the cat is allergic or has a reaction to the Metamucil.

Try that, with your cat, and with my cat, it firmed up his stool, so that he has nice clean formed stools. :) My cat is about twenty pounds, a huge cat, and the vet had told me that about one quarter to one half teaspoon a day in his food would help, and like I said, that was about five or so years ago. It lasts a long time, so you don't want to get too big a container, but make sure you get the brand name. I tried the generic, and it didn't work as well.

God bless and good luck!

Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience: Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats