DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

What can I do about a cat who leaves feces stains where she sits

No Comment Added

She may be incontinant so I would reccommend having your vet check her out. Sometimes the sphinxter muscle stops working the way it should maybe because of longterm bowel movement problems, neurologic problems or possibly genetic's. It could also be if her stool is alittle softer and her anus was irritated at some point that she just not able to hold it in as well. At any case, I reccommend taking a stool sample and her into your vet to rule out anything serious.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Rejected ZooCVT's Post. Reason Given: I know I can take the cat to the vet, I was looking for something I can actually do to correct the problem.
The most common cause of fecal staining is actually obesity. When cats are overweight they lack the ability to clean as they once did. Overweight cats tend to leave small urine and fecal spots because appropriate cleaning is not possible. They also many times have an "unkept" look to the fur that they can readily reach either. Weight problems in cats, esp. female, can predispose to diabetes.
A vet can prescribe the most effective wt loss food for a cat instead of trying store bought types.
If your cat is thin then unfortunately there is no real advice except you occasionally cleaning with a babywipe, that can resolve this. A visit to the vet would be the only thing to reach a diagnosis.
Good Luck,
Dr.V
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert

Way to go Dr. V. !

It sounds like you are 'on the money'.

The only other thought that I could add is RE: anal gands in cats.  Perhaps the staining is actually anal juice, especially if the cat is obese, for all of the same reasons that you have described.  (I have often had to express anal glands in obese cats, especially long-haired varieties).

Dr. Katie

Hi There,

One of my own cats, has had chronic obesity, and though she has been on diets, approved by the vet, they haven't seemed to help her. She is on prednisone for asthma, and she too, has problems with "cleaning" herself down below. What I find that she does, is scrapes her rear end along an outdoor type rug, that I have in my home, and it doesn't seem to leave any stains, but I do agree with Dr. V about taking a wipe or just a soft and wet with warm water, paper towel, and wiping her backside off whenever you get the chance.

If she is having any kind of loose stool, or diarrhea, then you may definitely want to change her diet, or get her checked if that doesn't work, at your vet's when you can.

She is probably not comfortable, and does not intentionally leave the marks, but if you have light carpeting, etc. I can understand that it can get pretty disgusting to see stains all over. Also, Dr. Katie is correct about the anal glands sometimes being the problem. You can learn to express them yourself, as I have another female cat, and when I even pick her up, especially if she is upset with me moving her to a different area (such as off the counter, when she sneaks up to it), she shoots off her anal gland liquid, and that is a VERY RIPE SMELL.... ugh... they can become infected and they are what cats use to mark territory sometimes. You will know if you smell that kind of smell. But, if they need to be expressed, and you learn how to do that, you may not have her leaving stains in your home. That could be the problem.

Take care and good luck!