nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

Our pet chicken is one of five and she is 7 months old. Weve

Customer Question

Our pet chicken is one of five and she is 7 months old. Weve had her since she was two days old. She has been limping (right foot) for a month. She seemed to be doing better but now hobbles and lays down alot. She is eating, drinking, laying and sweet. It hurts to see her like this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Baby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?
Customer: She is relying on her wings, that are clipped on one side, to help balance her self when she does try to walk. She is light
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! We hope she is going to be ok
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Any chance of a previous injury?

If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint?

Any joint swellings or puffiness?

Does the leg seem shorter then the other one?

Any change to the feet or reduced ability to grip with her toes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Answers all "no" except last question. We examined with a magnifying glass. Stretched leg, felt leg, she never flinched. We washed her feet. Just dont see any reason....except
When she walks or trys to stand up, her right foot looks like her toes are cramping and curling under. It started with her right foot but now looks like both. She still wants to lay eggs and struggles to go to nesting box. (She lays down in chicken yard.) we have food and water very accessible for her.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand calling may be easier, but at moment if you could bear with me and respond online i appreciate your help.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

No worries, please disregard the auto-call offer as its from the site (I am in the midst of typing).

Now I am concerned with Baby's chronic lameness; especially since progressive toe curling raises concerns of odd deficiencies (ie Riboflavin/B vitamins), possible nerve or spinal issues (ie abscess, mass, etc), or we can see signs of this nature with Newcastle's disease.

With this all in mind, we'd want to think about having her relocated to a hospitalization pen. It should be a small enclosure with soft flooring. Her food/water should be easily accessible for her. This will remove any competition and stress of being outside with this injury, while it will allow you to closely monitor her and administer any supportive care measures. If she is struggling to eat and drink, you will know about it and be able to assist her. And you can also start supplementing her with an avian vitamin to meet those potential deficiency concerns. And if she is keen to lay, you can give her a low lipped litter box with nesting material.

Otherwise, to at least try to reduce any spinal/nerve inflammation, we want her on a strong (and animal safe) pain relief, ie. meloxicam or carprofen. These are equally good choices and will likely help her with the pain she is suffering from. Both of these will likely require a veterinary visit for her, as they are not available over the counter. If that isn't an option you can try baby aspirin (at a dose of 25 mg per pound of her body weight once daily), but if that is too mild then again we'd want her seen for those but to also just make sure we don't have a possible infectious issue that the others could catch (or be carriers of already).

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )