Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My male canary has stopped singing. Had to roll his cage

Customer Question

my male canary has stopped singing. Had to roll his cage into another room sometims when guests were here,. his singing so loud and often.(which I love) Anyhoo, he is not singing like he was, pecking at himself under his wings. what do you think is wrong
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: His appetite is good. normal diet, some hard boiled egg, peeled apple slices, and the canary treats on the stick
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't think he hurts anywhere. Just doesn't sing or even chirp the last week or so. sometimes a chirp, but like today, have not heard him at all. but is eating and drinking normaly
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: no, that's about it. OHH, do have a niece staying with me, and she has a very small ten yeard old dog. Sweet thing, and does bark occassionally, he has been here a few weeks. could that have anything to do with it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I believe you identified the stimulus that has prompted your canary's change in behavior - the new bodies in your home. New people or pets, a change in the feeding schedule or diet, new sounds or odors, and a change in the cage, its location, or its contents are all stimuli we've identified as triggers for behavior change. As long as his appetite is good...and it sounds as if he's eating better than I do - he isn't ill but may well be anxious which is a known cause of feather picking/pulling and other changes in behavior such as being quieter than usual.

Hopefully he will accommodate to the new situation. I see no reason for a vet visit at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.