August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

10 yr old Buff Orpington sits back and won't stand. She eats

Customer Question

10 yr old Buff Orpington sits back and won't stand. She eats when hand fed, difficult to get to drink and seems otherwise fine. No Obvious injuries, both legs move. Any suggestions.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Barbara Musgrove replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I'm very sorry that Big Momma is not feeling well. Is she truly 10 years old? That's pretty incredible for a chicken! Is she still laying eggs? If so, do you think she is trying to pass an egg? You can palpate the vent region by gently passing her on her back and feeling the space between the legs and pelvic bones. If there is an egg that is bound (stuck), you should be able to feel a firm, egg-shaped swelling in this area. Please let me know more information so that I can help you get her moving and feeling better!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is not egg bound I don't think. Multiple soaks in a warm tub and blow dryer out and I don't feel anything. She spreads out her wings to balance and every now and then tries to push herself up but falls over. She acts like a stroke but no other signs. The old girl hasn't laid in a year. She keeps eating but won't drink so w her comfort care status she probably won't last long. I just wanted to Kniw if I was missing anything