Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

How are you? Ok Do you know the cause for a parakeets beak

Customer Question

Hi how are you? Ok Do you know the cause for a parakeets beak to bleed
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: Well when I got home today I saw that her beak was bleeding
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: Her tail bleeds to sometimes
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Have you been able to find the source of the bleeding - inside her mouth or the beak itself? Trauma and vitamin K deficiency are the two main considerations. A bleeding tail is likely to be due to pin peathers (new feathers that still contain a blood vessel) that have been broken through the vessel. A vitamin supplement such as Oasis brand contains vitamin K and can be added to your parakeet's drinking water.

Nutritional imbalances are a common problem in our pet birds. What has her diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin