nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

I believe she may hv an egg stuck...I hv her in her temp.

Customer Question

I believe she may hv an egg stuck...I hv her in her temp. Hospital cage all night but no result...she cannot walk and one foot looks injured...she is a Sun Conure...what more can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes...I bathed her last night in warm water, one looks injured but the other looks perfectly fine...
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Harry...15 yrs...she has laid 6 eggs within two to three weeks...we let her lay on first 4 for a bit then cleaned cage. And in within a week she laid two more...now this
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harry?
Customer: She is awesome and sweet...not biting when I handle her...did poop alot this a.m. when I picked her up
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 19 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Harry.

If she has been laying eggs, suddenly has issues with one of her legs (a worry that the egg or something internal is compressing the nerves that serve the leg), and may be egg bound; we have a serious situation.

As I am sure you can appreciate egg binding can be a complicated health issue caused not just from malposition or oversized eggs, but often related to issues with low blood calcium (the key component in muscle contraction and thus passage of eggs). Therefore, further to the warm bath, we'd want to start her on calcium supplementation. If she is in distress, then we'd want to have her local vet start injectable calcium for fast treatment and to give her the best chance here. At the same time, her vet can also assess her leg, determine if this is related to her other signs and start anti-inflammatories too.

Any delay and you can at least try oral supplementation. Ideally, we'd want to use a avian specific calcium liquid but in a pinch you can give Tums (half a tablet daily) or even start some calcium rich foods like cottage cheese or yogurt or if you do have cuttlebone on hand, you can put shavings from it into her favorite foods.

Further to this, we can also syringe KY jelly into the vent. This will help lubricate the oviduct up around the egg and can help it slip through. Afterwards, you can put her in a dimly lit room to keep her calm and help and hopefully get this egg laid. This can be repeated after you baths and massages (take care not to break the egg since shards of shell can damage the tissues) and give us a good chance of helping this slip out. Of course if it is caught and won't budge even with the above within an hour, then we may need her local vet to manually remove this egg. And at the same time, you can have them check her blood calcium levels and start injectable treatment if need be.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )