August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

Second opinion] - My 9 month chick has distended stomach on

Customer Question

Second opinion] - My 9 month chick has distended stomach on one side, no poop, just clear, watery or slimy excrement; not eating, slow moving, bottom resembles "pasty butt" & losing feathers around bottom when I tried to clean it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Miss peeps
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Miss?
Customer: She is a barred Plymouth Rock, one of flock of 8, half Americauna &. Half Plymouth Rock. One of the Americauna died 3 weeks ago, we thought with an impacted egg, only sign on her was nasty looking butt.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 13 days ago.

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you

I read the other response you received and have to agree with that doc in his evaluation of what's possibly happening. I have almost an identical flock as you do and the only different thing I'd do is actually bring the currently symptomatic bird in for an eval. The reason being that I'd want to get in front of this rather than lose my flock.

Even though all of your flock is likely exposed and possibly infected - identifying the causation is vital not just to save the remaining chickens with a prescription targeting a specific cause (sampling the droppings and doing basic bloodwork shouldn't be too costly), but to know whether or not you need to do a full disinfection of your birds' area.

In the meantime you can always add apple cider vinegar to the water source to stave off minor fungal issues. About 1/2 c to 1 gallon water.

It's a shot in the dark, but at least it's something.

Good luck and let's hope for the best