August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

What would cause a chickens comb to be puple-blueish in

Customer Question

what would cause a chickens comb to be puple-blueish in color. This occured for about 2 weeks prior to the chickens death.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Katie replied 12 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Katie and I hope I can help you.

It sounds like your chickens may have some form of a respiratory disease. A blue/purple comb is common to see when they are not oxygenating their tissues very well.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

The balance of the flock seems okay still today, it was about 2 weeks ago that the sick bird past on.

I would guess not knowing exactly what it was, we cant determine if the rest of the birds are at risk.

Expert:  Katie replied 12 days ago.

Right, I would agree. I would keep a close eye on them and if any of the others develop the same symptoms, I would isolate them.