August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

My hens pecked my rooster bald in the back. This is the

Customer Question

My hens pecked my rooster bald in the back. This is the second time but too cold to let him out to roam. He is in the house. His back is healed now waiting on his feathers. He seems to have lost his appitite and if I set him down fast he falls forward. So I started feeding him bird formula and seems to have perked him up a bit because he went I would say a day without really eating. I did not notice it right away because our son had him in is room at night. During the day he is loose in our bathroom. Any advice. He does now skawk at me when I feed him his formula.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the bird's name?
Customer: featherhead He is a rooster
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: I don't believe so I am not sure what to do he seems to be a bit more perky but does not seem to really want to walk around.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 15 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. How old is the rooster? Was he a later addition to the coop? I have a couple of concerns. Are you keeping him in the house now until his feathers come back in? Chickens are notorious for adjusting the pecking order when a chicken is temporarily removed from the coop and then put back in. Is it possible to put him in an dog kennel in the coop so that he is still around them. He would have his own food and water in the coop. When he fell forward, did you happen to notice any dissension of his crop? What formula are you using? What temperature is the formula when it is fed? I would get earthworms or even some dried mealworms for him to forage and encourage eating. Was he placed on any medications for the wounds on his back or did they feel on their own? When you have a chance to answer these question, hopefully I can help with his current situation. Thank you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your reply, he was in the dog kennel at night but since yesterday I have him loose in our bathroom. He was out in the coop even the chickens were young. He was free range and a wild animal got his mate. We put Neosporin on his back and it's healed up nicely I'm just waiting for his feathers to grow back. I am giving him bird formula and I give it to it when it's warm. He has perked up but when I put him down after I feed him his balance is not that great. I put him in our bathroom so I would not have to keep going in the kennel to feed him when I get up during the night. I would say about a year old because we had to take care of them all last winter when he got caught in the snowstorm we put him in the coop with a heat lamp this was Prior before we got our checks. He's a good rooster since I have been giving him formula the past couple days he seems more attentive he's looking all around with he stop doing. I've got him on towel so he will not slip on the floor. Now the kennel is in the bathroom and it's got straw in it. And he did sleep good last night he's not getting his head down like he was. I work for an equine vet when we lived 250 miles away. I could not find his email address. So I figured maybe you guys could help me. I'm trying to remember all your questions

You did a great job answering. Have you tried to encourage his eating on his own with some dried mealworms in with some scratch or even earthworms?

also, how are his bowel moments?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I cannot afford any money right now extra money to pay for a phone call. He does have scratch them his pellets and water which he is beginning to pack up his scratch of pallets and drinking a little bit. I need moving around a little bit more when I go in to touch him whereas before it was like he gave up. His bowel movements we're a little running now they are firm. And I believe the formula is helping him regain some of his strength and getting himself back to normal. But I just want to check because my son is afraid he has the flu. He does not have any sneezing coughing drainage I cannot afford any money right now question money to pay for a phone call. He does have scratch down his pallets in water which she is beginning to check out his cracked pallets I'm drinking a little bit. Annie's moving around a little bit more when I going to touch im are where as before it was like you gave up. His bowel movement were a little money now very are from. And I believe the formula is helping him re gain some of his strength and getting so much walmart. But I just wanna check because my son is afraid he has the flu. He does not have any sneezing coughing drainage um he's a little off balance but he's not really walking around like he was at first but bringing them in the house and keeping them caged up like that away from the hens I think may have affected him. I did take him out to The Coop day before yesterday and the hands went right after him. So I know him not feeling well which really concerns me because I really don't want to put him down it will take a bit longer before the hands realize he's back to normal. So I'm not going to take him back out there for a while I want him to be back to normal and feeling okay. Although I do worry about him we have grown very fond of him even though I have been spurred LOL thank you I hope you can help me