Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I need a CHICKEN vet VERY confident to answer a difficult

Customer Question

I need a CHICKEN vet VERY confident to answer a difficult question about my chickens LOSING FEATHERS I think to some kind of mites.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
this is only allowing me to upload two photos, it is possible it is NOT mites, but it is the only thing I can figure it is, it is too severe to be a mating problem. One hen and a pullet are not affected as are not the 2 roosters and my 2 black cochins are just now getting this. More hens in other coops are getting it.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. The distribution and extent of the feather loss is strongly suggestive of trauma and secondary bacterial infection caused by your roosters as would be supported by the fact that your roosters and pullet aren't affected. The likelihood of ectoparasites being contributory is very small after your having treated with every imaginable ectoparasiticide. Before going on further, please review this Chicken Chick site: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/chicken-feather-loss-cannibalism-causes.html and pay particular attention to the section on "over mating". Because so much skin is showing, I suspect that cannabalism is contributory as well.

Once you've reviewed that site, please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.
Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin