Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My chickens are sick but we don't know what sickness it is.

Customer Question

My chickens are sick but we don't know what sickness it is. They have trouble breathing and they are having trouble pooping ,eating, sleeping also green liquid is coming out of their nose. Were hoping that if it's not bad we are able to keep them around the chickens whom are not infected.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help your chicken. What is the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** and she is a year old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about kid?
Customer: Yeah they stopped laying eggs before they got sick and that's another thing were concerned about.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also they try to scratch out one of their eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm having computer problems and will have to opt out for now. I'll see if I can get them corrected and return to this conversation.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Here's what you need to know:

1) Respiratory infectious agents can be bacteria, viruses, or fungi yet symptoms can appear to be the same to poultry owners and vets alike.

2) Respiratory infectious agents can also cause diarrhea and reduced egg production. Infectious bronchitis (coronavirus) is a good example of such an infectious agent.

3) Scratching at their eyes indicates ocular (conjunctival, usually) involvement in the infection. The nasal discharge suggests sinus and nose involvement.

4) An avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) would be needed to clarify which infectious agent(s) you're dealing with. Cultures, virus isolation, and PCR (DNA-based) testing is performed. Necropsy of a newly dead bird that was refrigerated (not frozen) is a valuable diagnostic particularly when large numbers of birds have been exposed to the infectious agent as I expect is the case here. A vet can help arrange a necropsy for you.

5) If you don't have such an vet available to you, you might presumptively treat with the antibiotic tylosin (Tylan-50 in your local feedstore) dosed at 20-30 mg/lb given intramuscularly into the breast muscle once daily for 5-7 days.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.