Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My bird was not diagnosed with infection. Before taken she

Customer Question

My bird was not diagnosed with infection. Before taken she puffed up and had a little cough, but by the time I got her to the vet she was better. but the vet put her on clavamox. She got much worse after it was given to her. I cant get ahold of the vet and not sure if I should take her off of it. She is still puffing up but no runny nose or anything. I have her under a headlamp that seems to help her.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Candy. We don't have many avian vets on this site. If you believe that Cookie has worsened in spite of the Clavamox it makes sense to discontinue it and then let Cookie's vet know that you've done so. Cookie's vet may suggest a different antibiotic because Cookie remains puffed up.

It's smart to keep her environment heated up to 85F. If she appears weakened, remove her perches and place her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Revaluate her diet. Nutritional imbalances are a common problem in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
These are things I know, her diet is excellent. The vet complimented me on how healthy she looks. Of course you couldn't assume that. I ended up giving her half the dose after her eating a healthy amount of food, and some vitamins and probiotics. I was in bed when you answered. I'm going to call this morning and hopefully she will be in. How do I go about getting my money back?

Thank you for the additional information. Please contact customer service at***@******.*** or http://ww2justanswer.com/help for any questions you have concerning your financial obligation to the site.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****'t mind leaving the funds if I have more questions, or need a second opinion again, I just don't want to pay $40 for nothing. I will look into options. Thank you again.