nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

I have a 7 month old pullet that was attacked by a dog

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old pullet that was attacked by a dog today. Several of her feathers are missing off of her back, but the wound that concerns me the most is on the front of her neck. They skin is laid wide open, exposing the trachea and windpipe. I have brought her in the house and have cleaned the wound and applied 'Cut Heal' spray to it. She so far has not taken in any food or water that I have seen. The attack happened around noon, but she flew away and we were not able to find her until around 6:30pm. My husband says the best thing we can do for her is to put her down, but if there is a chance of saving her then I'm willing to try just about anything.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Update: after posting my question I applied vasoline to the raw area on her back and moistened the open neck area with saline. I also gave her a small dose of pain medicine and penicillin. And I gave her a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water via eye dropper. She didn't seem to have any problems with any of the above.
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, so I was having some difficulties getting the link to work. Hopefully the right pictures posted!
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear,

I have had a check of your photos and I am so very sorry to say that she needs to be put to sleep. The wounds are all quite superficial (though high risk of secondary bacterial infection) over her back but her throat region is a terrible state. She would need a skin graft here to protect her trachea and crop/esophagus as these cannot just lie open and exposed to the world without risk of drying out and the tissue dying. As well, I suspect she is in shock and suffering here. So, even if we used all we could treatment-wise, she has a poor prognosis. And if we are just managing her at home, then euthanasia would be the most humane option for this poor dear.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I am sorry it took me so long to update. As no suprise, she passed peacefully in between the time I posted the pictures and the time that you responded back to me. Poor baby. :(
I now have spent the afternoon putting a netted top over their outdoor pen so they can no longer fly the coop to run the risk of being exposed to dogs.
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am so sorry to hear that she passed, but truly it was best for her with how severely she had been injured and how poor her prognosis was with this damage. So, it is for the best and I am glad to see you are taking measures to keep the rest of the flock safe.

Please take care,my thoughts are with you both,

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.
Hi Joann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet