Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a pet chicken who has a leg that looks normal, she

Customer Question

I have a pet chicken who has a leg that looks normal, she use to hold it up sometimes but now she cant stand and uses her wings to get around, everything else is normal, any advice you can give me?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: perfectly normal, when I touch her no pain reaction, I moved her joints cant see anything wrong she eats and poops, sometime sitting it. but normal
JA: What is the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Ginger 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: she was fine, lays her eggs, I would see her hold her foot up a few times, and go and check it and she put it down now she cant stand on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ginger. I, too, would need to check Ginger's leg from the tip of her toes up to her hips. Check her foot for pododermatitis ("bumble foot") which can appear as painful swellings. Look for swelling or erythema (redness) anywhere on her leg. Check her joints against the other leg for swelling.

Paresis/paralysis in a leg can also indicate Marek's disease (herpesvirus) which can cause tumors that impinge on the nerves running into the leg. Please see here: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease

Finally, obturator nerve paralysis can arise if a retained egg is pushing on the nerve. In that case, however, I would expect to see Ginger frequently squatting as if to lay and walking like a penguin. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 28 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
not good the same cant stand on the leg, we have her separated from the other chickens, poops grainy, green red orange looks like tooth past semi solid, i also de wormed her, bad leg is floppy no swelling, no pain when i move the leg
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for update. When considering the added change in her droppings to her paralyzed leg, a systemic illness such as Marek's becomes a more important differential. Unfortunately, there's no treatment for Marek's.