Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My budgie got free and ended up in toilet with blue water.

Customer Question

My budgie got free and ended up in toilet with blue water. He was in it for only a minute and I rinsed him off and put him back in cage. He seems okay but is there anything else I should do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Feathers. 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Feathers?
Customer: He's a very healthy bird otherwise
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Rinsing him and drying him throughly followed by heating up his environment to 85F with a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage or by taping a heating pad to the sides of his cage should suffice. These products rely on organic compounds that release halogen bleach into the water. They're considered relatively non-toxic although I must admit that there are no studies involving this product and birds; hence, rinsing and drying Feathers thoroughly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.