Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My goose was roughed up by our dog yesterday. No visable

Customer Question

my goose was roughed up by our dog yesterday. No visable injury except he is making a high pitched squeeking noise and shaking his head as if something is in his airway. In the past he would occasionally get a feather stuck in his noise and shake his head the same way but never this noise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is sixteen.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honkey?
Customer: No, his health has been excellent. I'm sure the encounter with our dog is that's caused this problem. Is there someway I could look down his throat. He opens his mouth occasionally to breath.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Opening his beak and looking into his oropharynx (back of his throat) makes sense but I suspect that the high pitched squeaking noise is arising from narrowing lower down in the syrinx ("voice box") of birds or perhaps Honkey's trachea (windpipe). Crushing injuries such as from a dog bite may not cause superficial damage yet cause significant damage internally. Swelling of the tissue surrounding the syrinx or trachea, then, would predispose to what you're hearing.

A avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) might prescribe a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam to Honkey. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.