Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My bird cant fly anymore, It just cant fly, try to fly and

Customer Question

hi my bird cant fly anymore
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?
Customer: It just cant fly, try to fly and falls and looks like he tending to fly right side every time
JA: Where does your bird seem to hurt?
Customer: maybe neck
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: he look like has diarea as well
JA: Is your bird eating normally?
Customer: watery pop
JA: Is your bird having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: eating normal
JA: How is your bird behaving differently?
Customer: crash every time when try to fly
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: not sure about age, maybe 6-7 or a year , name Micky
JA: How old is Micky?
Customer: not sure i have for 2 month, look like maybe year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Micky?
Customer: he was not much active since i bought him,, i have 2 more bird but they are very active
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its look like its not problem with wings. Looks like more neck or brain problem.
We don't have any vet around to take him.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. It's important to note that once a pet bird (which type do you have, please?) acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet. This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within their flock. Micky's symptoms of difficulty flying and diarrhea and are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. I suspect that his diarrhea indicates a bacterial enteritis (infection of the GI tract) and he's overall weak and so flying in that manner.

I would administer a liquid antibiotic directly into his beak and improve his diet. Let me know if you access to a liquid antibiotic - human or pet. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Micky's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.