Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a sun conure and he is puffed-up and making strange

Customer Question

I have a sun conure and he is puffed-up and making strange noises not acting normal. just wants to curl up on me. no kissing or anything. do i take him to emergency?
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Bird Sun Conure
JA: OK. I'm sorry that Sun Conure is feeling poorly. What is wrong with Sun Conure?
Customer: I was out of town yesterday and I came home and he was acting strange No kisses and puffed up. Now he making these weird noises and doesn't look well
JA: Where does Sun Conure seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't know. He has been flapping his wings a lot in the last few days
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no he has some molting on his head but my doc said it was normal It doesn't look like it's growing back to me. He's never acted like this before
JA: How old is Sun Conure?
Customer: a little over a year The only thing i can think of is i changed his food 2 days ago to Harrisons
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sun Conure?
Customer: I do a lot of research on these birds and apparently it's the best. He also keeps flapping one wing. ok
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. It's important to note that once a conure acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within their flock. His symptoms of fluffing, making strange noises, and change of behavior are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.

Did you mix the Harrison's slowly into his old food so as not to force his eating only the new food? I need to consider that he hasn't been eating for two days.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is eating well and loves his new food. Today he is much better. I could not find an Avian vet until tomorrow, so I am grateful he is better. He's playing with his toys and grooming. He actually has been eating well. This morning I got up and he had eaten all his food. I feed him apples and pomegranate, but he won't eat anything else good for him like spinach, beans, melon, etc. He is still a bit puffed, though.

All in all, that's a terrific update. Give these things a try: hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.