Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Second opinion] - my macaw just bit my greencheek conure's

Customer Question

Second opinion] - my macaw just bit my greencheek conure's top beak off .the tongue is fine and not alot of blood.What can I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I've been on planes all day yesterday and today.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your conure. Avulsion of all or part of the mandible or maxilla (top beak) is a common injury. As a general rule, avulsions of less than the rostral (outer) third of the maxilla will usually result in regrowth of the avulsed portion. Loss of more than this amount will usually result in permanent deformity. Surprisingly, many birds will adapt to the deformity and do well, so long as infection and pain are controlled and the bird is nutritionally supported until the wounds have healed. Consulting with an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) is strongly recommended in regard to infection and pain control as well as nutritional support. Overgrowth of the opposing mandible is common requiring regular trimming. Beak prostheses rarely work in birds as the kinetic forces transmitted into the prosthesis by normal beak actions (e.g., eating, gripping objects) rapidly lead to implant failure.

Can you upload a photo(s) of your conure's head to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.