nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

She is not standing up, can barely lift her head, not

Customer Question

she is not standing up, can barely lift her head, not eating, keeps pecking under her wing and has feathers in her mouth. i do not see any sign of mites - her skin under the feathers looks very clean and healthy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she is almost 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about fern?
Customer: i don't think so - she was very healthy until yesterday
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I have to say that I am quite concerned about Fern.

The signs you are reporting aren’t suggestive of mites. I am more concerned that her pulling feathers is a stress behavior and a side effect of what is causing her to be so collapsed. And with those more serious signs, we’d be worried about a possible severe bacterial infection in the blood stream, acute viral infection, gut blockage/damage, toxins, or even an organ or metabolic issue reaching a critical state (hopefully less likely at her age, but still a concern). In this case, we’d need to get her eating urgently since a low blood sugar could be exacerbating this. But with her signs coming on so quickly and her sounding to be so collapsed, we’d also want to be getting her to the local vet potentially as an emergency. That way we can get her checked, get to the root of her signs, and get her on treatment +/- fluids to help get her through this.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )