Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 13 year old cockatiel. She has a sore on her back

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old cockatiel. She has a sore on her back that she keeps picking. Took her to local avian vet that prescribed oral antibiotics. Is there anything to put on the sore to help it heal that is not dangerous to the bird.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Bilbo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bilbo?
Customer: This was first year she did not lay two eggs during the summer. She has large cage which is cleaned frequently and has run of the house during the day. The vet thinks the sore was caused by grooming on an early (blood) feather.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bilbo. It's important not to apply lotions, creams, or ointments lest she ingest them while preening. Dilute chlorhexidine solution available in pet/feed stores is a very good antimicrobial safe in our pets even if ingested. Appying that solution twice daily to the sore will work in conjunction with the antibiotic to hasten resolution of the infection.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.