Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Cut my lorikeets feathers a time ago. The cut of feathers

Customer Question

Cut my lorikeets feathers a long time ago. The cut of feathers are still there and havnt fallen out. He is very irretable and shakes his feathers all the time. How can I help him
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. You appear to be describing a delayed moult which is usually caused by a combination of malnutrition, abnormal diurnal rhythm (especially for companion birds kept indoors), concurrent illness and endocrine disorders (e.g., hypothyroidism). Management involves establishing norma ldiurnal rhythms by ensuring Boris gets at least 12-14 hours of sleep time in a darkened, quiet environment. Simply covering a cage in a busy family area is insufficient to meet the sleep requirements for most birds. Nutritional problems must also be corrected. What has Boris's diet consisted of, please? Nectar, pollen, fruits (berries), and vegetables should make up the bulk of Boris's diet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's been on wombaroo mix which is a wet milky food. Havnt been able to get him to eat dry food which they mix with water to form a paste which most lorikeets do that are kept in captivity. And something I want so much as having to do liquid requires me to be home 3 times a day as food goes off. And i am always stuck at home as i cant go away for a night to visit family that live 3 hours away.Tried all fruit and veggies but he hasn't shown much interest. Getting very desperate as this isn't working for Boris or me. And he isn't happy and so irritable with his feathers apart from not being able to fly. Please help and tell me what I need to do
Jutta
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I think by what you said that maybe his diet has something to do with it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do I make him eat dry food and fruit and veggies? As he will just wait till I get home to feed him and wont touch what I leave for him while I am away.

I'm sorry for the delay in replying. I've been on planes all day yesterday and today. Perhaps Boris isn't the best bird for you. The special diets of lorikeets can be a challenge. The Wombaroo food is balanced for Boris and so I can't blame his diet for the delayed moult. To answer you directly, you can't make him eat food he's unfamiliar with nor should you fast him "until he's hungry enough to eat whatever if given him". Here's a more involved synopsis of feeding these birds for you: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/lories-and-lorikeets-feeding/886