Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Was fine this am but this evening is limping, Yes, she is a

Customer Question

was fine this am but this evening is limping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, she is a pet so she lets me examine her. Her appetite is normal
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** and she is 10 months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellen Deheneres?
Customer: no
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Unfortunately, assessing a lameness from afar is very difficult for me. I would need to carefully examine Ellen Deheneres's (!!) leg from the tip of her toes to her hip for erythema (redness), swelling, bruising, and wounds. Bumblefoot (infectious pododermatitis) is a common cause of lameness but both soft tissue injury (strains, sprains), joint infections, bony problems, and even systemic infections such as Marek's disease (herpesvirus) can cause a lame chicken. Because her lameness is so sudden, it makes sense to "watchful wait" longer to see if her lameness remisses unaided or, instead, remains or worsens.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ellen has finally stopped limping. Thank you.

Thank you for the good update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.