Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

There is/are a theory that Vit E, at 6X the suggested level

Customer Question

There is/are a theory that Vit E, at 6X the suggested level will deter Marek's on farms that had previous exposure. Did you see the question I asked recently concerning the possibility of worms in a pastured layer flock as it relates to sudden egg production drops without loss of feathering or life ???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, Halley, I didn't see that post but, yes, most worm infections go unnoticed altogether and most any disorder can drop egg production. I'm not aware of that effect of vitamin E nor would I expect it to be true when herpesvirus is present.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a nutritionist that claims to be having success at the 50 IU's per bird level. Doesn't that sound extreme ??

I don't know what a chicken's vitamin E requirement is but when treating dogs doses are in the 100s and a 10 lb cat would receive 100-150 IU. Don't listen to "claims". Studies need to be peer reviewed and published. I could claim that I can flap my arms and fly to the moon. That doesn't make it so.