August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

My female budgie is chasing her first born (l'm sure that

Customer Question

My female budgie is chasing her first born (l'm sure that it's a girl) she has another 2 babies in the nesting box about 14 days old. We have big avairy. We took the baby out for 5 days and put her in a small cage...she was trying to get out. So we put her back in the Avairy and mum keeps on chasing her. Why won't mum accept her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Sherry and the baby is Rosie...she laid 14 eggs and we knew it was a hormone problem with mum.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sherry?
Customer: She is 3 years old and usually very calm. We are sorry, we let her breed. We lost the father because we took him out of the Avairy to settle her down...hasn't worked.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

How old is Rosie?

What are the actual measurements of your aviary?

Does Sherry chase Rosie only away from the nesting box, or at other times, too?

Are there other birds in the aviary besides these two and the new babies?

Thank you.