nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

I think my parakeet has conjunctivitis and i am an eye

Customer Question

i think my parakeet has conjunctivitis and i am an eye doctor myself (for people :) so i think i can treat him with tobramycin
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: tearing eye , 1 only
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: rio, 4 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about rio?
Customer: no. es a really great bird!
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If you are sure that this is a primary bacterial conjunctivitis without upper airway involvement nor signs of corneal damage or glaucoma, then you could choose to use a broad spectrum antibiotic ointment like Tobramycin. This tends to be used twice daily for a week. If the discharge doesn't settle, then you may need to consider swabbing the discharge for bacterial culture and sensitivity. Or if you do see any of those other concerns, then we may need Rio checked by the local avian vet to head those off for him.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at: AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web (http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm), Lafeber database (http://lafeber.com/pet-birds/find-an-avian-vet/) or Birdsnway (http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. I don't see anything others than the discharge around his feathers. So I wil continue the tobramycin. If not better in a few days I wil take him in to vet or I'll culture it myself and send it out. In people we don't do that often as it clears up with meds before we get the culture back!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
BId and not TID? I have drops and not ointment but can get the ointment if you think that much better?
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action and it may be that our patients are more prone to nasty or odd bacterial agents then humans are. In any case, BID is fine as we don't want to stress Rio and either preparation is fine just depending on what you find easier to administer. So, if you are using a drop with success and not too much wrestling/stress, then that is fine to continue.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! Just didn't want to do more damage! Should I clean around his eye with a little warm water and soft cloth? The feathers are darkened from this and makes it hard to tell if better.
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome,

You can saline flush the eye if Rio will allow before using the drops. Afterwards, you can pat the skin around the eye dry taking care to avoid the eye itself. The skin/feathers can often be damp or discoloured with both tearing and treatment but usually that will settle if we can get the eye infection nipped in the bud.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.