Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

How can I 'colour' feed my wild sulphur crested cockatoos?

Customer Question

Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. There is quite a time zone difference between the central United States and Australia. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in birds.Color feeding only works under certain circumstances. It must be begun just before the bird begins to molt. Started too late, it will have no effect. If done all year round, the only time it can affect color is during the molt. However, if the color-enhancing foods are given in too large of amounts, instead of the bright oranges and reds we hope for, we'll get a muddy color.In addition to being fed the foods at the right time, the birds in question must have the genetics for the color. Color feeding affects reds and oranges. I assume you want to encourage brighter crests on the cockatoos.You can buy color-enhancers that are made to be given to red canaries. Most are added to the water source. Some are in the form of soft 'treat' foods. However, it might be difficult to get a wild bird to consume these things. The natural way of color feeding is to feed foods rich in carotenoids. These include carrots (grated), cooked sweet potato or pumpkin, peaches and apricots, and other foods with orange color. Foods rich in carotenoids have even been found to change skin color in humans when eaten in large quantities. In birds, they will enhance orange and red feathers when fed at the proper times. This would probably be the easiest way to color feed wild birds.If you have more questions, just let me know. I wish you success if you decide to try this.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!