Alinda Buckingham
Alinda Buckingham,
Experience:  Associate at Muscatine Veterinary Hospital
95188067

I have an albino parakeet. I have been told she has some

Customer Question

I have an albino parakeet. I have been told she has some liver problems because her beak grows long and curls so I have to keep it trimmed and she does fine. Yesterday she started scratching her right eye and rubbing it on her perch until she got it bleeding. I was shocked when I saw it. I immediately put her in a cage by herself and tried to gently wipe the blood but she immediately kept rubbing and scratching and some bleeding. She also hangs upside down most of the time. At least then she can't scratch. This morning I noticed she has lost some feathers by her vent. I'm not sure she still has her eye. My other three parakeets are fine. Should I do the humane thing and put her down? I can't afford to take her to a vet. I did that when her beak started growing and it cost me $200. What should I do?.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Alinda Buckingham replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm so sorry your bird is having trouble. You can soak a cotton ball in saline eye wash solution and hold it against the eye to sooth it. If there is any crusty discharge you will want to soften and gently remove it. If she keeps rubbing something is uncomfortable, so check to make sure her sinuses aren't clogged too. The feather loss by the vent is more complicated. Many problems will cause feather loss. Weather or not to put her down is up to you. Even with health problems if she is comfortable and no longer traumatizing herself, she may be ok. If she's miserable and we can't fix the source of her discomfort, then euthanizing might be best.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure how or why your response came in on this email address as we do not use it anymore but my husband was doing some cleaning today and happened to find it. I thought no one was responding to my question and I was upset I was charged for nothing. So, thank you for responding, the error is on me. I still have my bird and she seems to be doing much better. She quit rubbing and scratching her eye after about 4 days, the bleeding stopped and the eye appears to be fine. I have her in a cage by herself sitting next to the others and she is singing and carrying on like nothing happened. She has now started a very bad activity tho, she is picking up pieces of the Kay-Kob on the bottom of her cage and putting them in her water dish and also making a big mess flicking it all over the table with her wings. She is also still hanging upside down. I think she is bored or I just have a very 'different' bird. Her beak is still growing and turning so I keep trimming it. My other birds are all fine. Thank you for your response and I'm sorry for not responding but we just found it today.