Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She showed signs of lethargy two days ago...staying in the

Customer Question

She showed signs of lethargy two days ago...staying in the coop laying in the corner..next day I took her out and noticed her crop was still full. Though I don't believe she wasn't eating or drinking so I took her in and gave her water with electrolytes and but she would eat. Today she is dying. Her stools are normal color but loose loose...I believe I am going to lose her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: I bought her at Tractor Supply this spring early april as a baby chick... She is a red sexlink
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. Her unemptying crop is a clue for either primary crop disorder such as sour/impacted crop or a crop that has become atonic (lack of muscular control) due to an underlying systemic disease such as Marek's disease (herpesvirus). If you're truly losing her, Marek's is an important consideration at her age. Please see here: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease/ and let me know if you've recognized other symptoms of Marek's in her.

An impacted crop usually requires an avian vet's assistance. You haven't mentioned regurgitation/vomiting which would support such a crop but I'll post a synopsis of impacted crop for you in any event: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com//search?q=answers+from+the+chicken+vet+on+impacted%2C+sour+%26+pendulous+crops