Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Oh, I have the following problem. I possessed two little

Customer Question

Oh, Hello I have the following problem. I possessed two little lovebirds.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: At 4 AM in the morning, one started shrieking. I turned the light on, it stopped. Then I noticed that the other one has a little discharge on its beak. I don't know the origin. I checked with a vet this morning. He took out the bird that shrieked this morning. It shrieked again and died suddenly in his hands. He told me that it's a clot ot a stroke, but the other bird is OK
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: Please, pay attention to what I'm telling you :)
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: I will repeat
JA: Is the bird eating normally?
Customer: The remaining bird shows CNS problems
JA: Is the bird having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No, as far ad I know
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the bird behaving differently?
Customer: She shows CNS symptoms
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Ivy, several months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ivy?
Customer: She is showing CNS problems, I don't know if it's poisoning or trauma
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, I clearly did not fill enough details.
My pet bird Ivy is suffering from something I can only describe as a brain concussion.
She had some beak discharge in the morning. The vet said it's OK. The other bird, which I brought to him as a pair, died in his hands, however. Vet said a clot or some kind of a heart attack is the cause.
Ivy showed some symptoms of lack of balance and crashed herself in a wooden cupboard. Fell into unconsciousness, got out of it in two minutes.
Now she:
1. Is capable of flying straight, however loses height and falls on the ground;
2. Is capable of sitting on a perch, but only when I prop her there. She cannot fly on climb on her own;
3. Hasn't eaten or taken fluids since the concussion a few hours ago;
4. Her left wing droops;
5. Her eyes close, only to open and close again;
6. She reacts to stimuli like a lovebird chirp, she chirps in response;
7. She sits fluffed on her perch.
Vet said to leave her alone for 24 hours and if condition does not improve, to euthanize her. What is your opinion?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. To answer you directly, head trauma in birds is treated by placing the patient in a quiet, dimly lit, unlikely to be disturbed area. Shock, pain, and infection should be treated as appropriate in a hospital setting - ideally under the guidance of an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org). Supplemental fluids given by needle and force-feeding by tube is likely to be required until Ivy is neurologically stable. The prognosis improves with neurological improvement; however, in some cases this may take several weeks. Improvement after 3-4 weeks is unlikely.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.