August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

I have bo quail raised for flight. Birds keep dying in pen

Customer Question

I have bo white quail raised for flight. Birds keep dying in pen last 3 yrs. Spray/disinfect between birds treated with tetracycline and corrid with no improvement, wormed with wazine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: No they have adequate fresh watee, medicated quail feed and shelter. Birds in other pens not dying so something particular to this pen i assume
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 1 month ago.

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you

It sounds like you're doing more than enough for them and I tend to agree with your impression that something about this pen is toxic.

What is the substrate you use? How do you clean it? Do you muck it out (how often)? Do you ever totally change it (if so, when/how often)?

Are you medicating the birds in the other pens as well or just these?