August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

We have had our cockatoo in vet for a week! Her leg wasn't

Customer Question

Hi we have had our cockatoo in vet for a week ! Her leg wasn't working , they took X-ray and blood tests came to conclusion that they don't know! Now vet out in hormone implant said it will hopefully solve the problem!! 1000 dollars later brought her home today now just sitting in cage inside talking seems happy eating alert but no movement in legs please can u help us Phil and Paula
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 1 month ago.

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you

I'm very proud of you for doing all of the right things by your companion. Too many owners steadfastly refuse to get medical care for their birds and it's heartbreaking

Tell me a little more about her environment and diet. Is she caged most of the time? What sort of toys are her favorites right now? What is a typical day's diet?

Where in the home is she kept for the most part?

Did your vet ask these questions? Is the vet a 'bird only' vet or do they see predominantly dogs/cats/other mammals ?

Were any blood tests taken and if so, for what and what were the results?

Thanks for the add'l info - I have to run errands for a while for the birds here, but will check back with you the moment I return- so take your time