Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Hen had food stuck in her throat and could not breath. Son

Customer Question

Hen had food stuck in her throat and could not breath. Son massaged throat and it cleared. Has thick mucus all over her head but that was not there before her choking. My son could tell she was choking by her head movement. When he felt her neck she had a large lump that it is gone now. She immediately went for water when her throat was clear and ate more conservatively after.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: The bird is less than a year. Got her as a chick in mid April. Her name is Ariana.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ariana?
Customer: Not really. She is an Auricana. I think she is okay but not sure what to think about all the mucos. She was fine before eating and they were all being really piggy.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. That thick mucus represents crop contents splattered about her head when she regurgitated and shook her head. The lump that your son felt suggested that Ariana's crop was impacted - usually with fibrous material ingested when free ranging. Here's a good review of what I suspect transpired: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com//search?q=chicken+anatomy%3A+the+crop

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.