Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I live in Lemon tree passage in port Stevens and I have an

Customer Question

Hello I live in Lemon tree passage in port Stevens and I have an Indian ring neck who's nearly 3 years old .. I
Would like to do a DNA test to see if it's a girl or boy ..
So I need the nearest vet to me and the cost of the test as I'm unemployed at the moment .. Can someone help
Me
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds.

You actually don't need a vet to do DNA testing to determine the sex. You can do it yourself.

There are several companies that do do DNA sexing of birds. Some tests use a blood sample. Others use feathers. They are equally reliable. DNA testing is the most reliable method of sexing birds, and it is very accurate (about 99%), but once in a great while a mistake is made.Here are reputable companies where you can order kits for feather or blood test kits. They're under $20.

http://dnasolutions.com.au/product-category/dna-tests/animal-dna-testing/

http://www.mdsaustralia.net/products-tests/veterinary/avian/

If you still prefer to have a vet do it, it will cost much more, but they use the same test kits. Here is the closest vet I could find that treats birds:

http://www.greencrossvet.com.au/Clinic-93/Tanilba-Bay--Services.aspx

Phone #: 02 4982 3266

Let me know if you need anything else. I hope this information helps.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see if you need any additional information. I hope you find the test you can do yourself a much less expensive option.

Anna